Spend a day working on the most important design project of all – your life.
Join us for a Designing Your Life One-day Intensive Workshop
Friends and Family Edition
Saturday, November 9, 2019
8:30am – 6pm
1 City Center
Portland, ME 04101
Taught by three certified DYL facilitators, this intensive is a day-long experience of learning and practicing ideas and tools contained in the NYT bestselling Designing Your Life, How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life.
You will leave with clarity regarding where you are right now, new designs for balance and energy, new ways to frame problems you’ve been trying to solve for a while, insights on how to hone your decision making, and three possible future paths – Odyssey Plans – for your life. You will do all this in a fast-paced co-ed collaborative community helping one another design a unique journey toward a well-lived, joyful life. This is a small workshop – no more than 20 people, so you will receive hands-on coaching from the instructors during the day.
The following items are included in this experience:
- Breakfast, lunch and a participant reception.
- A Life Design Intensive Workshop Workbook for your exercises and reflections.
- A one-hour post workshop call with the instructors and fellow participants for follow-up and coaching.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the experience include lodging?
No. You are responsible for securing your own lodging if needed.
Does the retreat include meals?
Yes, we include breakfast and lunch and a participant reception.
You are responsible for your own dinner. We are happy to help you with recommendations and making arrangements for people who want to eat dinner together.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s the refund policy?
We do not refund your money if you cancel, so please make sure you are able to make the date you have selected. If something unforseen happens, please talk with us about your situation, and we will see if we can transfer your registration to another workshop if one is available.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
This is an event for professionals who have already started their careers and are looking to optimize their work and their lives. Typical attendees are in their 20’s-60’s. The minimum age for attendees is 18.
Who is the Designing Your Life Intensive workshop for?
This workshop is for folks who want to spend a day designing their life and working on their answer to the poet’s eternal question: “…what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”* People of all ages and life stages can benefit from the ideas and tools presented in Designing Your Life – both those approaching a life transition or anyone wanting a more creative approach to their future. The workshop includes instructional presentations, hands-on exercises, and interactions with other participants imagining possibilities for your future. If you like jumping in and trying on new ideas, if you practice the designer’s mindset of Bias-to-Action, this workshop is for you.
I’ve heard about something called “Designing Your Life for Women.” How is the Intensive workshop different from the Designing Your Lives for Women Weekend workshop?
Both workshops are designed for anyone who is interested in using the ideas and tools contained in Designing Your Life to develop a coherent and joyful life plan – and they are designed to appeal to different audiences.
The DYL Intensive is a one-day experience for a general audience that covers most of the material in the popular book, Designing Your Life. Designed for a busy professional, is a nine-hour ‘intense’ workshop that makes the most of our single day together. At the end of the day, you will walk away with three ideations of your future life and with the ideas and tools that are in our book. The Intensive is taught by certified DYL facilitators.
In order to create a more focused discussion on issues of particular importance to women, the DYL for Women is limited to women only. It is planned around a 1.5-day retreat, giving participants more time to process the ideas and tools from the book. DYL for Women also includes some short moments of mindfulness and reflection throughout the weekend.
Co-founder and Partner, Fieldbrook Advising, Certified Designing Your Life Facilitator, Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher-in-Training
Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend
- Experience: 10+ years in Development/Fundraising, 3 years as therapist, 9 years as Mind-Body Teacher, 1.5 years stay at home parent
- Design Focus: Utilize methodology to make changes with awareness, curiosity and courage!
- Today: Fieldbrook Advising, Part-time stay at home parent, Yoga teacher, volunteer for Girls on the Run
- Purpose: Empowerment, health and emotional wellbeing
Co-founder, Partner, and Certified DYL Facilitator
Leadership Coach, Potter, Volunteer, Wife, Friend
- Experience: 30+ years in higher education, librarian & information professional, leadership development for higher education association
- Design Focus: Emotional intelligence, conversational intelligence, using design thinking for sustainable change
- Today: Business co-owner, leadership coach, & potter
- Purpose: Empowering people to recognize, embrace, & use their talents & skills
Certified DYL Facilitator,
Father, Husband, Brother, Son, Information Technology Executive focused in Higher Education
- Experience: 20+ years in Information Technology (IT) with a Higher Education focus; 15+ years in IT Leadership; 6 years as a Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Design Focus: Inclusive Leadership
- Today: IT Executive in Higher Education; Leadership Development Facilitator; Mentor; pseudo/kinda/almost CrossFit athlete
- Purpose: Empower people to foster innovation through inclusive leadership.